PCT staff receive £56,000 average redundancy pay
By Susie Sell, 09 September 2011
PCT staff made redundant as a result of the NHS reforms will receive an average payout of £56,000, DoH figures show.
A revised Impact Assessment, which was released the day after the Commons voted in favour of the Health Bill, shows that PCTs are expected to pay a total of £634m in redundancy payments to 11,300 staff.
But it also shows that ‘NHS leadership’ staff, which included DoH workers, will receive an average of £127,500 in pay-offs.
The revised Impact Assessment also showed that estimates of the savings expected to be made as a result of the reforms are substantially lower than previously expected.
It shows that the long-term annual savings expected from 2014/15 will be £1.5bn per year. Previously this was estimated to be £1.7bn per year.
It also revealed that the net savings over the transition period are predicted to be around £3.2bn - £6m lower than the previous estimate made in January.
Health secretary Andrew Lansley said: ‘The revised Impact Assessment shows that the cost of modernising the NHS is only a fraction of the savings which will result.
‘We are cutting waste and are still on track to reduce administrative spend by a third. Every penny saved will be reinvested into patient care, delivering significant long-term benefits to patients.’
But writing on Twitter, shadow health minister Liz Kendall (@LeicesterLiz) said: ‘You couldn’t make it up. The government publishes an impact assessment of Health Bill the day after it is voted through the Commons.’
Latest Articles from GP
- Shingles jab programme extended to 300,000 more patients
- Viewpoint: Dr Kailash Chand: Listen to GPs on Care Bill over hospital closure
- Welsh GPs dismiss plans to hand primary care control to local councils
- CCGs must do more to provide adequate palliative care
- Rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis delayed by reliance on key test, GPs told
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- GP & Lead GP Care UK Competitive + Benefits, Pentonville Prison- London
- Salaried GP Miriam Medical Centre Number of sessions and salary negotiable., Birkenhead, Wirral.
- Locum/Salaried GP- Out of Hour - Liverpool/Manchester/Yorkshire/North East & TOP RATES!! Medco Services Up to £95 per hour, Midlands - Various
- Warehouse Supervisor Angel Human Resources LLP £17,000 to £20,000 PA, Romsey, Southampton, Hampshire
- Locum GP - Bedfordshire & Surrounding Areas Angel Human Resources LLP Excellent rates of pay and travel contributions paid to the Locum GP, Various choices of work offered to the Locum GP In Leicestershire areas and surrounding areas
- Locum GP - Berkshire and surrounding areas. Angel Human Resources LLP Excellent rates of pay and travel contributions paid to the Locum GP, Various choices of work offered to the Locum GP In Leicestershire areas and surrounding areas