PCT staff receive £56,000 average redundancy pay
By Susie Sell, 09 September 2011
PCT staff made redundant as a result of the NHS reforms will receive an average payout of £56,000, DoH figures show.
A revised Impact Assessment, which was released the day after the Commons voted in favour of the Health Bill, shows that PCTs are expected to pay a total of £634m in redundancy payments to 11,300 staff.
But it also shows that ‘NHS leadership’ staff, which included DoH workers, will receive an average of £127,500 in pay-offs.
The revised Impact Assessment also showed that estimates of the savings expected to be made as a result of the reforms are substantially lower than previously expected.
It shows that the long-term annual savings expected from 2014/15 will be £1.5bn per year. Previously this was estimated to be £1.7bn per year.
It also revealed that the net savings over the transition period are predicted to be around £3.2bn - £6m lower than the previous estimate made in January.
Health secretary Andrew Lansley said: ‘The revised Impact Assessment shows that the cost of modernising the NHS is only a fraction of the savings which will result.
‘We are cutting waste and are still on track to reduce administrative spend by a third. Every penny saved will be reinvested into patient care, delivering significant long-term benefits to patients.’
But writing on Twitter, shadow health minister Liz Kendall (@LeicesterLiz) said: ‘You couldn’t make it up. The government publishes an impact assessment of Health Bill the day after it is voted through the Commons.’
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Clinical Research Physician Synexus Ltd Competitive, UK based sites
- Salaried GP DMC Healthcare Competitive Salary, East Dulwich, South London
- Salaried GP The Medical Centre - Kent Competitive, Maidstone, Kent
- Salaried GP Horden Group Practice Salary will be dependant on experience, Horden, County Durham
- Salaried GP and GP Partner Positions nationwide Locum Staffing Lucrative rates, Nationwide
- GP - outer Melbourne - earnings c.$300kpa - Australia Head Medical Based 8 sessions per week - bill in the region of $10,000 per week. Estimated circa $300k pa, Victoria, Australia