PCT staff receive £56,000 average redundancy pay
By Susie Sell, 09 September 2011
PCT staff made redundant as a result of the NHS reforms will receive an average payout of £56,000, DoH figures show.
A revised Impact Assessment, which was released the day after the Commons voted in favour of the Health Bill, shows that PCTs are expected to pay a total of £634m in redundancy payments to 11,300 staff.
But it also shows that ‘NHS leadership’ staff, which included DoH workers, will receive an average of £127,500 in pay-offs.
The revised Impact Assessment also showed that estimates of the savings expected to be made as a result of the reforms are substantially lower than previously expected.
It shows that the long-term annual savings expected from 2014/15 will be £1.5bn per year. Previously this was estimated to be £1.7bn per year.
It also revealed that the net savings over the transition period are predicted to be around £3.2bn - £6m lower than the previous estimate made in January.
Health secretary Andrew Lansley said: ‘The revised Impact Assessment shows that the cost of modernising the NHS is only a fraction of the savings which will result.
‘We are cutting waste and are still on track to reduce administrative spend by a third. Every penny saved will be reinvested into patient care, delivering significant long-term benefits to patients.’
But writing on Twitter, shadow health minister Liz Kendall (@LeicesterLiz) said: ‘You couldn’t make it up. The government publishes an impact assessment of Health Bill the day after it is voted through the Commons.’
Latest Articles from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- Locum/Salaried GP- Out of Hour - Liverpool/Manchester/Yorkshire/North East & TOP RATES!! Medco Services Up to £95 per hour, East Riding of Yorkshire / Greater Manchester / Lancashire / Merseyside / Leeds, West Yorkshire
- Locum GP's in West London Required dr-locums Up to £105ph , London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Consultant or GPSI in Dermatology required in WORCESTER, Up to £500 per session + Benefits Career Doctors Up to £500 per session + NHS Pension + 6 weeks leave + paid study leave, Worcester, Worcestershire