Bill may be sent back to House of Commons, says Lansley
By Susie Sell, 24 May 2011
The Health Bill could be sent back to the House of Commons for further scrutiny following the listening exercise, the health secretary has admitted.
In an online Guardian webchat, Andrew Lansley said the Health Bill may be ‘recommitted’ to the House of Commons, which could delay the Bill’s passage through Parliament.
It comes as Labour health minister Baroness Glenys Thornton said that the Health Bill is unlikely to reach the House of Lords before September.
Mr Lansley said a decision about whether the Bill needed to be ‘recommitted’ would be made after the NHS Future Forum report, which is expected by June. ‘I told the House of Commons on 4 April that we would ensure proper scrutiny of the bill – we have done that so far and we will continue to do so,' he said.
Mr Lansley also responded to criticism of role of NHS regulator Monitor in promoting competition. He said the duty of Monitor should be to ‘promote the best interests of patients’.
‘We have always said competition is a means to an end not an end in itself. Monitor's job is to promote the best interests of patients,' he said.
‘This is clearly an area where we are looking to listen and make improvements to make this absolutely clear.’
Latest Articles from GP
- London GPs launch campaign to save practices facing financial ruin
- Quality fears as GP out-of-hours funding falls 13% in two years
- Six GPs elected to BMA council as NHS campaigners dominate
- Breastfeeding cuts adult heart disease risk, study suggests
- Up to 500 GP practices to pilot care.data from autumn
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP Locum (Chelmsford) Agenda Medical Locums £90 per hour, Essex
- GP Locum (Wrexham) Agenda Medical Locums £600 - 760 per day, Wales
- GP Meddoc Locums Up to £180000, East of England / North Yorkshire / Leeds, West Yorkshire