Consortia leaders need social skills
By Nick Bostock, 27 April 2011
Commissioning consortia are being urged to ensure their GPs have the 'social and emotional intelligence' to lead the organisations.
A study of NHS managers by researchers at Royal Holloway, University of London, highlighted a lack of social skills and poor understanding of emotions as key factors in failure among NHS managers.
The study Leadership and Patient Care: Managing in the NHS, found the most ineffective managers failed to relate and empathise with staff.
Report author Professor Paula Nicolson said the most successful managers engaged with staff 'on a psychological or emotional level' helping them understand how they worked and 'take followers with them' during periods of reform.
'The NHS can be a difficult place to work, with managers bombarded by government directives and patient concerns. Being a leader in the NHS is not easy,' she said.
- Viewpoint - GPs must grasp public health agenda
- Consortia funding will mean large groups are 'overfunded'
- GP consortia must not be distracted by Health Bill pause
- Review - How useful was the King's Fund study?
- Rise of PCT clusters could overshadow consortia role
- Health Bill to be delayed three months, NHS chief executive admits
Latest Articles from GP
- Rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis delayed by reliance on key test, GPs told
- Anticoagulation safe for CKD, study finds
- GPs back wider osteoporosis screening in primary care
- GPs need support to tackle domestic violence, say researchers
- Viewpoint: BMA deputy chairman on why the decline in GP funding must be reversed
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- GP & Lead GP Care UK Competitive + Benefits, Pentonville Prison- London
- General Practitioners - Parkgate Medical Practice IntraHealth Competitive, Darlington
- Full-time Salaried GP Rothschild House Surgery Negotiable for the right candidate, Hertfordshire practice bordering Buckinghamhire
- Locum GPs Needed - West Midlands and Surrounding Area Pegasus Medical £70 per hour, West Midlands and Surrounding Area
- Locum GPs Needed - Bristol and the Surrounding Areas Pegasus Medical Negotiable, Bristol and Surrounding Area
- NEWSFLASH - URGENT GPS NEEDED - HUNDREDS OF REAL JOBS AVAILABLE NOW Pegasus Medical Negotiable, NATIONWIDE