GPs in Scotland want protection from commercialisation of English NHS
By Colin Cooper, 10 March 2011
The chairman of the Scottish GPC has attacked the English Health Bill and called for a clear strategy to protect practices in Scotland from market-led reforms.
Dr Dean Marshall was speaking at the annual conference of Scottish LMCs in Glasgow.
|Sign up to our new GP Scotland email bulletin to see all the news from the conference.|
Dr Marshall told the meeting: ‘I want to send a message to our politicians in both England and Scotland. Our health service is not a factory, the health service cannot be treated like a commercial enterprise, our patients are not a commodity.
‘We do not support the market-based reforms being pushed through in England, where the consequences for patients could be severe indeed. Scotland’s GPs will support colleagues in England to preserve the founding principles of the NHS.’
He called for the Scottish government to work with the profession to devise a clear strategy for the future of general practice in Scotland.
‘Without a government strategy, how can we in general practice, the cornerstone of the NHS, drive change and improvements in the quality of care for patients without any clear direction of where we are going?
‘We have begun this process with the publication of our own policy document but we still have a long way to go to convince politicians of the contribution that we can make to the improvement of care for patients.
‘We still have to convince politicians that clinical leadership by those delivering the service is the way forward. We still have to convince politicians to put patient care before political priority.’
Latest Articles from GP
- London GPs launch campaign to save practices facing financial ruin
- Quality fears as GP out-of-hours funding falls 13% in two years
- Six GPs elected to BMA council as NHS campaigners dominate
- Breastfeeding cuts adult heart disease risk, study suggests
- Up to 500 GP practices to pilot care.data from autumn
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP Locum (Chelmsford) Agenda Medical Locums £90 per hour, Essex
- GP Locum (Wrexham) Agenda Medical Locums £600 - 760 per day, Wales
- GP Meddoc Locums Up to £180000, East of England / North Yorkshire / Leeds, West Yorkshire