GPs in Scotland want protection from commercialisation of English NHS
By Colin Cooper, 10 March 2011
The chairman of the Scottish GPC has attacked the English Health Bill and called for a clear strategy to protect practices in Scotland from market-led reforms.
Dr Dean Marshall was speaking at the annual conference of Scottish LMCs in Glasgow.
|Sign up to our new GP Scotland email bulletin to see all the news from the conference.|
Dr Marshall told the meeting: ‘I want to send a message to our politicians in both England and Scotland. Our health service is not a factory, the health service cannot be treated like a commercial enterprise, our patients are not a commodity.
‘We do not support the market-based reforms being pushed through in England, where the consequences for patients could be severe indeed. Scotland’s GPs will support colleagues in England to preserve the founding principles of the NHS.’
He called for the Scottish government to work with the profession to devise a clear strategy for the future of general practice in Scotland.
‘Without a government strategy, how can we in general practice, the cornerstone of the NHS, drive change and improvements in the quality of care for patients without any clear direction of where we are going?
‘We have begun this process with the publication of our own policy document but we still have a long way to go to convince politicians of the contribution that we can make to the improvement of care for patients.
‘We still have to convince politicians that clinical leadership by those delivering the service is the way forward. We still have to convince politicians to put patient care before political priority.’
Send to a friend
Latest Stories from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP The Elms Medical Centre Negotiable depending upon experience, newly qualified starting at circa £72k pro-rata., North West England
- SALARIED GP (female) Mount Pleasant and Earlsheaton Medical Centres Dependent upon experience, Dewsbury / Batley, West Yorkshire
- Full Time GP Partner/ Salaried GP Newtown Medical Practice Negotiable, Mid Wales/Shropshire Border
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Part-Time Salaried GP (with a view to Partnership) Culcheth Medical Centre Competitive Salary, Warrington, Cheshire
- Full-Time Partner Badgerswood Surgery Negotiable, Hampshire/Surrey/West Sussex Border
- Harmoni admits running out-of-hours centre with no doctors
- GPs should take on 30% of A&E work, say emergency doctors
- TV show seeks GP couple as presenters
- Integrated care pilot drives up dementia diagnosis
- Dementia diagnosis must accelerate, warns Hunt
- LMCs demand emergency vote after Hunt out-of-hours comments
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.