GPs in Scotland want protection from commercialisation of English NHS
By Colin Cooper, 10 March 2011
The chairman of the Scottish GPC has attacked the English Health Bill and called for a clear strategy to protect practices in Scotland from market-led reforms.
Dr Dean Marshall was speaking at the annual conference of Scottish LMCs in Glasgow.
|Sign up to our new GP Scotland email bulletin to see all the news from the conference.|
Dr Marshall told the meeting: ‘I want to send a message to our politicians in both England and Scotland. Our health service is not a factory, the health service cannot be treated like a commercial enterprise, our patients are not a commodity.
‘We do not support the market-based reforms being pushed through in England, where the consequences for patients could be severe indeed. Scotland’s GPs will support colleagues in England to preserve the founding principles of the NHS.’
He called for the Scottish government to work with the profession to devise a clear strategy for the future of general practice in Scotland.
‘Without a government strategy, how can we in general practice, the cornerstone of the NHS, drive change and improvements in the quality of care for patients without any clear direction of where we are going?
‘We have begun this process with the publication of our own policy document but we still have a long way to go to convince politicians of the contribution that we can make to the improvement of care for patients.
‘We still have to convince politicians that clinical leadership by those delivering the service is the way forward. We still have to convince politicians to put patient care before political priority.’
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland