GP time for commissioning will cost £300m, RCGP says
By Susie Sell, 02 March 2011
The cost of GPs taking time out from seeing patients to carry out consortia activity will amount to at least £300m, the RCGP chairwoman has estimated.
Giving evidence to the Public Accounts Committee Dr Clare Gerada said around 3%-5% of GPs will take on leadership roles within consortia.
She said a ‘significant’ amount of money will have to be spent to replace GPs who have had to stop seeing patients in order to fulfil consortia duties.
Dr Gerada said: ‘We have calculated on the back of an envelope… that the costs are £300m in terms of GP time. That’s just GPs’ time, we are not talking about the management costs. That's a conservative estimate.'
‘In terms of management, you are still going to need management and administrative time and expertise within consortia to do the things GPs can’t do.’
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland