GP time for commissioning will cost £300m, RCGP says
By Susie Sell, 02 March 2011
The cost of GPs taking time out from seeing patients to carry out consortia activity will amount to at least £300m, the RCGP chairwoman has estimated.
Giving evidence to the Public Accounts Committee Dr Clare Gerada said around 3%-5% of GPs will take on leadership roles within consortia.
She said a ‘significant’ amount of money will have to be spent to replace GPs who have had to stop seeing patients in order to fulfil consortia duties.
Dr Gerada said: ‘We have calculated on the back of an envelope… that the costs are £300m in terms of GP time. That’s just GPs’ time, we are not talking about the management costs. That's a conservative estimate.'
‘In terms of management, you are still going to need management and administrative time and expertise within consortia to do the things GPs can’t do.’
Send to a friend
Latest Stories from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Part-Time Salaried GP (with a view to Partnership) Culcheth Medical Centre Competitive Salary, Warrington, Cheshire
- Full-Time Partner Badgerswood Surgery Negotiable, Hampshire/Surrey/West Sussex Border
- Full Time Partner/Salaried GP (8 sessions) to replace retiring Partner Stirling Road Surgery Details available on request, Devon
- 7 session Partner Chobham and West End Medical Practice Profit Sharing Partner, North West Surrey
- SALARIED /LONG TERM LOCUM LEADING TO FIXED SHARE PARTNERSHIP White City Health Centre £70000 TO £80000 but salary negotiable and dependent on experience and qualifications., London W12 7PH & Southall UB1 1JH
- Harmoni admits running out-of-hours centre with no doctors
- GPs should take on 30% of A&E work, say emergency doctors
- Fears over NHS England capacity to manage general practice
- GPs launch national federation to counter rising pressure on practices
- TV show seeks GP couple as presenters
- Dementia diagnosis must accelerate, warns Hunt
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.