GP time for commissioning will cost £300m, RCGP says
By Susie Sell, 02 March 2011
The cost of GPs taking time out from seeing patients to carry out consortia activity will amount to at least £300m, the RCGP chairwoman has estimated.
Giving evidence to the Public Accounts Committee Dr Clare Gerada said around 3%-5% of GPs will take on leadership roles within consortia.
She said a ‘significant’ amount of money will have to be spent to replace GPs who have had to stop seeing patients in order to fulfil consortia duties.
Dr Gerada said: ‘We have calculated on the back of an envelope… that the costs are £300m in terms of GP time. That’s just GPs’ time, we are not talking about the management costs. That's a conservative estimate.'
‘In terms of management, you are still going to need management and administrative time and expertise within consortia to do the things GPs can’t do.’
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Clinical Research Physician Synexus Ltd Competitive, UK based sites
- Salaried GP DMC Healthcare Competitive Salary, East Dulwich, South London
- Salaried GP The Medical Centre - Kent Competitive, Maidstone, Kent
- Salaried GP Horden Group Practice Salary will be dependant on experience, Horden, County Durham
- Locum GP (Liverpool) Agenda Medical Locums £550 - 650 per day, Liverpool
- Locum GP (Newcastle) Agenda Medical Locums £525 per day, Newcastle