Deprivation in Scotland threatens public health, RCGP Scotland warns
By Nick Bostock, 01 March 2011
Severe deprivation in parts of Scotland threatens public health and has cut life expectancy to as little as 56 in some areas, RCGP Scotland has warned.
RCGP Scotland is expected to launch a five-to-10-year plan for general practice this week.
The report warns that the availability of good medical care tends to decrease proportionately with need in the population it serves.
'The future of general practice in Scotland: a vision' is backed by both the Scottish government and BMA Scotland.
It sets out a vision for improving general practice in Scotland over the next five to 10 years, covering training, patient care, professional development and academic research.
RCGP Scotland chairman Dr John Gillies said: ‘We must look at how we can ensure lasting changes such as longer appointment times, specialised training and better links between primary and secondary care. If we don’t act on health inequalities the health of people in impoverished areas will get worse.’
|Sign up to our regular Scotland email alert and get the latest Scottish GP news sent to your inbox|
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- percentage of billings Interchange General Practice percentage of billings, Canberra is in SE Australia about 200 miles South of Sydney
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent