Deprivation in Scotland threatens public health, RCGP Scotland warns
By Nick Bostock, 01 March 2011
Severe deprivation in parts of Scotland threatens public health and has cut life expectancy to as little as 56 in some areas, RCGP Scotland has warned.
RCGP Scotland is expected to launch a five-to-10-year plan for general practice this week.
The report warns that the availability of good medical care tends to decrease proportionately with need in the population it serves.
'The future of general practice in Scotland: a vision' is backed by both the Scottish government and BMA Scotland.
It sets out a vision for improving general practice in Scotland over the next five to 10 years, covering training, patient care, professional development and academic research.
RCGP Scotland chairman Dr John Gillies said: ‘We must look at how we can ensure lasting changes such as longer appointment times, specialised training and better links between primary and secondary care. If we don’t act on health inequalities the health of people in impoverished areas will get worse.’
|Sign up to our regular Scotland email alert and get the latest Scottish GP news sent to your inbox|
Latest Articles from GP
- Jeremy Hunt backs CQC naming and shaming GP practices
- BMA winter campaign urges patients to self care at home
- New models of general practice needed, NHS England warns
- #WeekInReview - 12 December: CQC naming and shaming, #surgerylive and #AskLordHowe
- First 1,000 CQC visits find 10 practices with 'serious failings'
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Millstream Medical Centre Competitive salary will be offered dependent on experience, Central Salisbury
- 2 x Salaried GP Positions, Great Yarmouth, FT & PT, C.£85,000 Merco Circa £85,000 plus benefits, Norfolk, East Anglia
- Clinical Research Physician Synexus Ltd Competitive, UK based sites
- Salaried GP DMC Healthcare Competitive Salary, East Dulwich, South London
- Salaried GP The Medical Centre - Kent Competitive, Maidstone, Kent
- Salaried GP Horden Group Practice Salary will be dependant on experience, Horden, County Durham