H1N1 virus has not mutated, study shows
By Tom Moberly, 10 January 2011
The H1N1 flu virus in circulation is the same genetically as that seen last year and does not differ across cases, HPA analysis suggests.
Researchers have undertaken a virological analysis of fatal influenza cases in the UK during the early wave of this year’s flu season. Their findings are published on online in Eurosurveillance.
They found that the virological picture is complex, with many strains of influenza virus circulating. However, they found no antigenic change in the influenza A(H1N1)2009 virus.
There were also ‘no immediately obvious genetic differences’ between viruses recovered from fatal cases and those causing mild illness, the researchers said.
‘The picture of the illness associated with influenza A(H1N1)2009 infection is consistent with what was seen in the 2009 pandemic, with a similar demographic impact, particularly affecting children and young adults,’ they added.
The researchers also stress the importance of vaccination in preventing illness. ‘Most of those with severe illness, and those dying, have not previously been vaccinated against influenza and have not had the benefit of the early use of antiviral drugs,’ they said.
‘Countries in Europe yet to experience substantial influenza activity this winter may wish to take all reasonable measures to increase the uptake of seasonal influenza vaccine in those at high risk of the complications of influenza and to ensure that antiviral drugs are readily available for those who are either severely ill or at increased risk of severe illness from influenza.’
Send to a friend
Latest Stories from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Full Time Salaried GP Daneshouse Medical Centre Salary dependant on qualifications and experience, Burnley, Lancashire
- Salaried GP The Elms Medical Centre Negotiable depending upon experience, newly qualified starting at circa £72k pro-rata., North West England
- SALARIED GP (female) Mount Pleasant and Earlsheaton Medical Centres Dependent upon experience, Dewsbury / Batley, West Yorkshire
- Full Time GP Partner/ Salaried GP Newtown Medical Practice Negotiable, Mid Wales/Shropshire Border
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Part-Time Salaried GP (with a view to Partnership) Culcheth Medical Centre Competitive Salary, Warrington, Cheshire
- Harmoni admits running out-of-hours centre with no doctors
- TV show seeks GP couple as presenters
- Hunt to reveal GP reforms and new inspection regime
- LMCs demand emergency vote after Hunt out-of-hours comments
- Integrated care pilot drives up dementia diagnosis
- Hunt 'must recognise growing GP crisis', warns RCGP
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.