DoH hopes to end PCTs' reluctance to use private hospitals
By Tom Ireland, 22 December 2010
The DoH is to investigate complaints from private hospitals that PCTs are influencing where patients go for treatment.
The NHS Competition and Co-operation Panel (CCP) has been asked to investigate whether PCTs are attempting to dissuade GPs from referring to certain hospitals.
Under the 'any willing provider' model, patients are entitled to a choice of any hospital as long as it provides services at NHS prices.
The DoH, the CCP and Monitor have received complaints that PCTs are urging GPs to refer to struggling local NHS hospitals rather than promoting choice. There are also reports of PCTs setting caps on the amount of activity they will purchase from certain providers.
The review is a signal that the DoH wants to end any reluctance within the NHS to use private providers before GPs take over commissioning in 2013.
Health minister Lord Howe said the review would help inform the ‘expanded operation’ of the 'any willing provider' model in the future.
‘Choice and competition are important in driving up quality and efficiency in services for patients and the taxpayer,' he said. 'This review will help ensure that our commitment to giving patients greater choice is realised.’
The CCP will report on its findings by June 2011.
Send to a friend
Latest Stories from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Part-Time Salaried GP (with a view to Partnership) Culcheth Medical Centre Competitive Salary, Warrington, Cheshire
- Full-Time Partner Badgerswood Surgery Negotiable, Hampshire/Surrey/West Sussex Border
- Full Time Partner/Salaried GP (8 sessions) to replace retiring Partner Stirling Road Surgery Details available on request, Devon
- 7 session Partner Chobham and West End Medical Practice Profit Sharing Partner, North West Surrey
- SALARIED /LONG TERM LOCUM LEADING TO FIXED SHARE PARTNERSHIP White City Health Centre £70000 TO £80000 but salary negotiable and dependent on experience and qualifications., London W12 7PH & Southall UB1 1JH
- Harmoni admits running out-of-hours centre with no doctors
- GPs should take on 30% of A&E work, say emergency doctors
- Fears over NHS England capacity to manage general practice
- GPs launch national federation to counter rising pressure on practices
- TV show seeks GP couple as presenters
- Dementia diagnosis must accelerate, warns Hunt
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.