Burnham urges Liberal Democrats to reject health White Paper
By Tom Ireland, 01 September 2010
Shadow Labour health secretary Andy Burnham has urged Lib Dem MPs to block health secretary Andrew Lansley's White Paper reforms.
Mr Burnham was expected to tell a party meeting in Liverpool on Tuesday that Liberal Democrat MPs hold ‘the key to the future of our NHS’.
The coalition government relies on its 57 Lib Dem MPs for a working majority in parliament.
Mr Burnham will call for deputy prime minister Nick Clegg – due to address the Lib-Dem conference in the city next month – to 'explain why the reforms are being forced on the NHS’.
The former health secretary has launched a 'Save Our NHS Campaign' in opposition to the plans, which he says are 'unnecessary and dangerous' and will cause waiting times to rise.
In a letter to Lib Dem MPs ahead of his speech, he wrote: ‘I do not believe the people who voted for you at the election voted for such a radical break-up plan.'
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Clinical Research Physician Synexus Ltd Competitive, UK based sites
- Salaried GP DMC Healthcare Competitive Salary, East Dulwich, South London
- Salaried GP The Medical Centre - Kent Competitive, Maidstone, Kent
- Salaried GP Horden Group Practice Salary will be dependant on experience, Horden, County Durham
- Locum GP (Liverpool) Agenda Medical Locums £550 - 650 per day, Liverpool
- Locum GP (Newcastle) Agenda Medical Locums £525 per day, Newcastle