Burnham urges Liberal Democrats to reject health White Paper
By Tom Ireland, 01 September 2010
Shadow Labour health secretary Andy Burnham has urged Lib Dem MPs to block health secretary Andrew Lansley's White Paper reforms.
Mr Burnham was expected to tell a party meeting in Liverpool on Tuesday that Liberal Democrat MPs hold ‘the key to the future of our NHS’.
The coalition government relies on its 57 Lib Dem MPs for a working majority in parliament.
Mr Burnham will call for deputy prime minister Nick Clegg – due to address the Lib-Dem conference in the city next month – to 'explain why the reforms are being forced on the NHS’.
The former health secretary has launched a 'Save Our NHS Campaign' in opposition to the plans, which he says are 'unnecessary and dangerous' and will cause waiting times to rise.
In a letter to Lib Dem MPs ahead of his speech, he wrote: ‘I do not believe the people who voted for you at the election voted for such a radical break-up plan.'
Send to a friend
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP The Higham Ferrers Surgery Salary negotiable , Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire
- Full Time Salaried GP Daneshouse Medical Centre Salary dependant on qualifications and experience, Burnley, Lancashire
- Salaried GP The Elms Medical Centre Negotiable depending upon experience, newly qualified starting at circa £72k pro-rata., North West England
- SALARIED GP (female) Mount Pleasant and Earlsheaton Medical Centres Dependent upon experience, Dewsbury / Batley, West Yorkshire
- Full Time GP Partner/ Salaried GP Newtown Medical Practice Negotiable, Mid Wales/Shropshire Border
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Hunt to reveal GP reforms and new inspection regime
- LMCs demand emergency vote after Hunt out-of-hours comments
- Integrated care pilot drives up dementia diagnosis
- Hunt 'must recognise growing GP crisis', warns RCGP
- GP contract 'not to blame' for A&E pressure, NHS leaders say
- GP-patient relationship faces 'unprecedented strain'
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.