Burnham urges Liberal Democrats to reject health White Paper
By Tom Ireland, 01 September 2010
Shadow Labour health secretary Andy Burnham has urged Lib Dem MPs to block health secretary Andrew Lansley's White Paper reforms.
Mr Burnham was expected to tell a party meeting in Liverpool on Tuesday that Liberal Democrat MPs hold ‘the key to the future of our NHS’.
The coalition government relies on its 57 Lib Dem MPs for a working majority in parliament.
Mr Burnham will call for deputy prime minister Nick Clegg – due to address the Lib-Dem conference in the city next month – to 'explain why the reforms are being forced on the NHS’.
The former health secretary has launched a 'Save Our NHS Campaign' in opposition to the plans, which he says are 'unnecessary and dangerous' and will cause waiting times to rise.
In a letter to Lib Dem MPs ahead of his speech, he wrote: ‘I do not believe the people who voted for you at the election voted for such a radical break-up plan.'
Latest Articles from GP
- London GPs launch campaign to save practices facing financial ruin
- Quality fears as GP out-of-hours funding falls 13% in two years
- Six GPs elected to BMA council as NHS campaigners dominate
- Breastfeeding cuts adult heart disease risk, study suggests
- Up to 500 GP practices to pilot care.data from autumn
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP Locum (Chelmsford) Agenda Medical Locums £90 per hour, Essex
- GP Locum (Wrexham) Agenda Medical Locums £600 - 760 per day, Wales
- GP Meddoc Locums Up to £180000, East of England / North Yorkshire / Leeds, West Yorkshire