Employ NHS managers, not companies, GPC chairman urges GPs
By Tom Ireland, 20 July 2010
GPs should look 'within the NHS' for the skills and support to make GP commissioning work, GPC chairman Dr Laurence Buckman (pictured) has said.
In a letter to the profession, Dr Buckman warns that although the reforms set out in the White Paper Liberating the NHS offer ‘a potentially huge opportunity for GPs’, they could be ‘a major threat both to the general practice and even to the NHS as a public service'.
Dr Buckman urges GPs to ‘look inside’ the NHS for support and advice, rather than using the private sector, as health secretary Andrew Lansley has suggested.
‘We cannot rise to this challenge without the help and expertise that can currently be found in the NHS,’ writes Dr Buckman. ‘We are also going to need to work with the best managers if this is going to be successful.
‘We will need all the skills possible to make it work. We should look inside the NHS and to our professional body for support, rather than going elsewhere for advice.’
Dr Buckman says that some PCTs are ‘already trying to rush ahead’ with the implementation of the proposals and urges GPs not to make any decisions until the consultation period ends in October.
|Click here to view health White Paper 2010 news and analysis|
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP - with or without MRCGP - Coastal Queensland - Australia Head Medical 60% billing, Queensland / North Queensland
- Salaried GP Tri-Links Medical Practice Salary upon application, East Midlands Region / Staffordshire / Warwickshire / West Midlands / Birmingham, West Midlands
- Salaried GP Dr Y Loomba Pay negotiable according to experience, Bolton, Greater Manchester