Employ NHS managers, not companies, GPC chairman urges GPs
By Tom Ireland, 20 July 2010
GPs should look 'within the NHS' for the skills and support to make GP commissioning work, GPC chairman Dr Laurence Buckman (pictured) has said.
In a letter to the profession, Dr Buckman warns that although the reforms set out in the White Paper Liberating the NHS offer ‘a potentially huge opportunity for GPs’, they could be ‘a major threat both to the general practice and even to the NHS as a public service'.
Dr Buckman urges GPs to ‘look inside’ the NHS for support and advice, rather than using the private sector, as health secretary Andrew Lansley has suggested.
‘We cannot rise to this challenge without the help and expertise that can currently be found in the NHS,’ writes Dr Buckman. ‘We are also going to need to work with the best managers if this is going to be successful.
‘We will need all the skills possible to make it work. We should look inside the NHS and to our professional body for support, rather than going elsewhere for advice.’
Dr Buckman says that some PCTs are ‘already trying to rush ahead’ with the implementation of the proposals and urges GPs not to make any decisions until the consultation period ends in October.
|Click here to view health White Paper 2010 news and analysis|
Latest Articles from GP
- London GPs launch campaign to save practices facing financial ruin
- Quality fears as GP out-of-hours funding falls 13% in two years
- Six GPs elected to BMA council as NHS campaigners dominate
- Breastfeeding cuts adult heart disease risk, study suggests
- Up to 500 GP practices to pilot care.data from autumn
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- GP Locum (Chelmsford) Agenda Medical Locums £90 per hour, Essex
- GP Locum (Wrexham) Agenda Medical Locums £600 - 760 per day, Wales
- GP Meddoc Locums Up to £180000, East of England / North Yorkshire / Leeds, West Yorkshire