Darzi centre director calls for 'overfunding' inquiry
By Tom Ireland, 15 June 2010
The director of a Tyne and Wear Darzi centre has called for an inquiry after revealing the practice receives around £816 a year per patient - over 10 times the pay per patient for GMS practices.
Dr Ken Megson, secretary of Gateshead LMC and director of the Medicus practice in Gateshead, told the LMCs conference in London last week it had failed to attract patients and was wasting money.
To audible gasps, Dr Megson told how just 250 patients have registered at the practice - well below its target of 1,500. It effectively receives £816 per patient, he said. The weighted pay per patient for GMS practices is around £64.
'It's an absolute disgrace to be getting paid this much money for doing nothing,' he said. ‘The PCT won't publish the costs, but I will.'
Dr Megson said it was clear 'from day one' that the new practice was surplus to requirements and poorly located.
He described the PCT's public consultations as ‘events where there were more people from the PCT than members of the public'.
Delegates backed a motion calling for an independent body to report on the cost effectiveness of GP-led health centres across England.
Local GPs, campaign groups and the press have struggled to obtain comprehensive figures on the cost of the APMS centres because PCTs claim the information is commercially sensitive.
‘It's not commercially sensitive, it's commercially embarrassing,' said Dr Megson.
A spokeswoman for NHS South of Tyne and Wear, which covers Gateshead PCT, said they were currently reviewing their APMS contracts.
- LMCs Conference 2010 - Dr Laurence Buckman' keynote speech
- Exclusive: Darzi centre targets GPs' elderly patients
- Health secretary pledges to halt all Labour health service reforms
- LMCs seek cuts to IT, NHS Direct and Darzi centres
- Lansley 'halts' Darzi polysystem plans for London
- Tories pledge GP appointments until 8pm on Sundays
Send to a friend
Latest Stories from GP
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP The Elms Medical Centre Negotiable depending upon experience, newly qualified starting at circa £72k pro-rata., North West England
- SALARIED GP (female) Mount Pleasant and Earlsheaton Medical Centres Dependent upon experience, Dewsbury / Batley, West Yorkshire
- Full Time GP Partner/ Salaried GP Newtown Medical Practice Negotiable, Mid Wales/Shropshire Border
- Salaried GP's Avicenna Medical Practice Negotiable and to include benefits, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Part-Time Salaried GP (with a view to Partnership) Culcheth Medical Centre Competitive Salary, Warrington, Cheshire
- Full-Time Partner Badgerswood Surgery Negotiable, Hampshire/Surrey/West Sussex Border
- Harmoni admits running out-of-hours centre with no doctors
- GPs should take on 30% of A&E work, say emergency doctors
- TV show seeks GP couple as presenters
- Integrated care pilot drives up dementia diagnosis
- Dementia diagnosis must accelerate, warns Hunt
- NHS threatened by US trade deal, warns Lord Owen
MIMS Drug Search
Possible searches include drugs (by brand, generic ingredient or drug class), diseases and more.