Morning-after pill advice for teens
By Tom Moberly, 04 June 2010
Teenagers and young women should be advised to keep supplies of the morning-after pill, NICE has said.
The advice is in draft guidance on reducing unwanted pregnancies issued last week.
It aims to help young people access a full range of contraception methods, including long-acting reversible contraceptives. It mainly targets socially disadvantaged young people, such as teenage parents, young people living in areas with high levels of deprivation, minority ethnic groups and young offenders.
The guidance says PCTs should undertake evidence-based commissioning to provide contraception and sexual health services for young people at convenient and accessible locations.
It says all young men and women need to be aware of how to obtain free advance provision of emergency hormonal contraception.
NICE recommends that all young women who obtain emergency hormonal contraception should be offered clear information about, and referral to, contraception and sexual health services.
The draft guidance is available on the NICE website (www.nice.org.uk) and is open to consultation until 23 June. A final version is expected in October.
Latest Articles from GP
- Exclusive: GP access pilots secure top-up funding worth millions of pounds
- GPs urged to offer greater choice of contraception
- GPs fear diagnostics meltdown as industrial action looms
- #WeekInReview - 17 April: Practices threatened with closure, get your arse to the doctors and #bowelcancer
- Vitamin D deficiency doubles risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Salaried GP Gloucester House Medical Centre Competitive Salary , Urmston, Trafford
- Full or part-time Salaried GP Opportunity, Hampshire Coast Merco Excellent salary + GMC paid, Hampshire, South East region
- GP Jobs Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada EU Health Staff Ltd Between $280,000 and $325,000 or more , North America
- percentage of billings Interchange General Practice percentage of billings, Canberra is in SE Australia about 200 miles South of Sydney
- CAMBRIDGE - Salaried GP - Excellent Salary - Full Bens Package Dream Medical Ltd c£80,000 (neg) + OUTSTANDING BENEFITS PACKAGE + BONUS SCHEME, Cambridgeshire
- LEAD GP - PICTURESQUE KENT - EXCELLENT SALARY & BENEFITS Dream Medical Ltd c£90000 (fulltime) + Full benefits package, Kent